The primary chemical constituents of this herb include cinnamaldehyde,
gum, tannin, mannitol, coumarins, and essential oils (aldehydes, eugenol,
The essential oil of this herb is a potent antibacterial, anti-fungal, and
uterine stimulant. The various terpenoids found in the volatile oil are
believed to account for Cinnamons medicinal effects.
- It is the most common baking spice.
- Cinnamon is used more in dessert dishes. It is commonly used in cakes
and other baked goods, milk and rice puddings, chocolate dishes and
fruit desserts, particularly apples and pears.
- It is common in many Middle Eastern and North African dishes, in
flavouring lamb tagines or stuffed aubergines.
- In American cooking, Cinnamon is often paired with apples and used in
other fruit and cereal dishes.
- Stick Cinnamon is used in pickling and for flavoring hot beverages.
- It is used in curries and pilaus and in garam masala.
- It may be used to spice mulled wines, creams and syrups.
- The largest importer of Sri Lankan cinnamon is Mexico, where it is
drunk with coffee and chocolate and brewed as a tea.
- Cinnamon is carminative, astringent, stimulant, antiseptic.
- It is more powerful as a local than as a general stimulant.
- It stops vomiting, relieves flatulence, and given with chalk and
astringents is useful for diarrhoea and haemorrhage of the womb.
- Because of its mild astringency, it is particularly useful in
- Recent studies have determined that consuming as little as one-half
teaspoon of Cinnamon each day may reduce blood sugar, cholesterol, and
triglyceride levels by as much as 20% in Type II diabetes patients.
- It is used to treat nausea and flatulence.
- Cinnamon is a great remedy for people with cold feet and hands,
especially at night.
- The cinnamaldehyde component is hypotensive and spasmolytic, and
increases peripheral blood flow.
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.