Cucumber Cucumis Sativus
(Common Name:- Cucumber)
- Kingdom :Plantae
- Subkingdom :Tracheobionta
- Superdivision :Spermatophyta
- Division :Magnoliophyta
- Class :Magnoliopsida
- Subclass :Dilleniidae
- Order :Violales
- Family :Cucurbitaceae
- Genus :Cucumis
- Species :C.sativus
The cucumber is the edible fruit of the cucumber plant Cucumis sativus,
which belongs to the gourd family Cucurbitaceae.
The cucumber plant is an annual climber which grows to a height of 15-30
cm and has large leaves that form a canopy over the fruit. The vine is
grown on the ground or on trellises, often in greenhouses.
- The Squirting Cucumber, Ecballium Elaterium, furnishes the drug
- The West Indian Gherken is C. anguria a plant far inferior to the
- The snake cucumber is C. flexuosum; it grows to a great length and
may be used either raw or pickled.
- The Indian Cucumber, or Cucumber Root, is the rhizome of Medeola
- The small gourd of South Africa is C. myriocarpus.
- The Bitter Cucumber is another name for Colocynth (Citrullus
- The Cucumber Tree, so called from the resemblance of the young fruits
to small cucumbers, is Magnolia virginiana, var. acuminata (Linn.), and
considered a valuable remedy for rheumatism.
- Burmese: Thakhwa.
- Danish: Agurk
- Dutch: Komkommer
- English: Cucumber, Cultivated cucumber
- Finnish: Kurkku
- French: Concombre
- German: Gurke
- Italian: Cetriolo
- Hindi: Kheera (khira), Kakri, Kakdi, Tihu.
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.