(Common name:- Pushkarmoola)
- Kingdom- Plantae
- Family- Asteraceae
- Genus- Inula
- Species- I. racemosa
Pushkarmoola is one of the medicines used widely used in ayurveda.
Pushkarmoola is one of the medicines used widely used in ayurveda. This herb is proven herb used to treat various ailments.
This plant has gained prominence as an ayurvedic plant which is aromatic and now widely found in northwestern Himalayas.
Inula racemosa grows in temperate and western Himalayas at an altitude of 1300 to 4500 meters.
The plant is small hardy shrub that grows on an average height of 0.33 to 2 meters.
The leaves of Inula are 3-6 cm long and 2-3 cm broad and elliptical with long petioles.
The plant stem is rough and slight hairy. The fruit is slender, 0.4 cm long and bearing small hairs.
The fresh roots are aromatic and brown in colour but become grayish when dry.
Inula racemosa is generally cultivated in temperate zones of Himalayas and Kashmir on elevated areas.
The chief constituents of inula racemosa are Sesquiterpene lactones, alantolactone, isoalantolactone, inunal, isoalloalantolactone and essential oil.
- Pushkarmoola is widely known for its medicinal properties such as anti-spasmodic, hyposensitive, beta-blocking and anti-anginal.
- Pushkarmoola is also useful in treating cardiovascular disorders such as heart diseases, lowering down blood pressure and angina pectoris.
- It also helps in alleviating cholesterol level from body.
- Inula racemosa is helpful in relieving from various respiratory ailments like bronchial disease, asthma, chest pain and cough.
- It alleviates abdominal pain, flatulence and also beneficial in loss of appetite and dyspepsia.
- English- Inula
- Latin name- Inula racemosa
- Sanskrit- Pushkarmoola, Paushkar
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.