(Common name:- Premna)
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Asteridae
- Order: Lamiales
- Family: Verbenaceae
- Genus Premna L.
- Species Premna obtusifolia
The plant has long been used for its use in ayurvedic medication. It is well known for its anti-inflammatory functions over the years. Also, studies over the years have revealed Agnimantha’s anti-obesity benefits in Ayurveda.
It is a large shrub that may be as long as 9 meters. The bark is often yellow and may be dotted with lenticels while the branches may be spiny.
The leaves of the plant may be elliptic or obtuse in shape while the flowers are small and may range from a greenish yellow to greenish white.
The plant is mostly found in the plains of India or the coats of Andaman Islands and well known for its use as an ayurvedic medicine.
The parts of the plant commonly used for medicinal purposes include the roots and leaves. On some occasions, the bark of the Agnimantha may also be used.
Based on the limited degree of chemical research, Angnimantha has been found to contain alkaloids premnine, ganiarine, premnazole and aphelandrine, the pentacyclic terpene betulin, the flavone lutiolin, beta-sitosterol, a polyisoprenoid, resin and tannin.
The medicinal uses of the plant may be varied. These may include:
- The plant is well known for its excellent anti-inflammatory effects in cases of chronic inflammations.
- The roots of the plant may also have cardio tonic, laxative, stomachic, expectorant, depurative, digestive, carminative, febrifuge and antibacterial effects.
- The roots of the plant may also be very helpful in cases of cough, asthma, bronchitis, leprosy, skin diseases, flatulence, anorexia, constipation and fever.
- The leavers of plant may be used to cure dyspepsia, flatulence, colic, cough, fever, rheumatalgia and tumors.
- Arni- Hindi
- Munnai – Tamil
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.