The gel contains carbohydrate polymers, such as glucomannans or pectic
acid, plus various other organic and inorganic compounds. The Aloe latex
contains anthroquinones and anthrones. The minerals found in aloe Vera
include calcium, sodium, iron, potassium, chromium, magnesium, manganese,
copper, and zinc. What a powerful storehouse. The gel also includes
Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, Folic Acid and Niacin.
Average Analysis of Aloe Vera Gel Per 8 ounces (240 ml)
- Aloe Vera is a fairly well known herbal preparation with a long
history of use.
- It is widely used in modern herbal practice and is often available in
proprietary herbal preparations. It has two distinct types of medicinal
- The clear gel contained within the leaf makes an excellent treatment
for wounds, burns and other skin disorders, placing a protective coat
over the affected area, speeding up the rate of healing and reducing the
risk of infection. This action is in part due to the presence of
aloectin B, which stimulates the immune system.
- The yellow sap at the base of the leaf, which is obtained by cutting
the leaves transversally at their base is called bitter aloes and
contains anthraquinones which are a useful digestive stimulant and a
- The anthroquinones and anthrones in the aloe latex probably produce
their laxative effect by increasing colonic peristalsis and increasing
the intestinal water content by opening chloride channels of the colonic
membrane to cause a net reduction of liquid absorption by the colon.
- The anthroquinone glycosides reach the colon mostly undigested,
although some are metabolized by enzymes produced by intestinal
bacteria. The result includes more frequent stools with softer
- In most of the studies on the laxative effects of aloe, the aloe was
not used alone but in combination with other laxatives, such as celandin
or psyllium. Aloe's side effects can include abdominal pain, diarrhea,
and electrolyte imbalances, especially at higher doses.
- Some Aloe species have also been used for human consumption. For
example, drinks made from or containing chunks of aloe pulp are popular
in Asia as commercial beverages and as a tea additive; this is notably
true in Korea.
- Aloe Vera gel is also very helpful in dental hygiene, immunity
system; it enhances fibroblast function, produce and maintains healthy
- It is also very helpful in maintaining your health by replishing the
essential Amino acids. Some amino acids which are essential and cannot
be made by the body are found within the aloe plant.
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.