Constituents and uses of African rue, Peganum Harmala
Harmala seeds contain many alkaloids like harmane, harmine, harmaline,
harmalol, tetrahydroharmine, vasicine and vasicinone.
- Peganum harmala is used for its invasive medicinal properties. It is
considered as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent.
- In some countries African rue is known to treat depression and
stimulates central nervous system.
- The smoke from the seeds can vanish insects, algae, bacteria's and
- It is also used as anthelmintic agent to expel parasitic worms,
tapeworms and to treat fever.
- Peganum harmala is an abortefacient herb to induce abortions. It
reduces the spermatogenesis in males as well as in rats.
- Peganum is also used against protozoa and malaria.
- Reports have shown that peganum is found to have anti-oxidant and
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.