(Common name:- Blessed thistle)
- Kingdom- Plantae
- (Unranked)- Angiosperms
- (Unranked)- Eudicots
- (Unranked)- Asterids
- Order- Asterales
- Family- Asteraceae
- Tribe- Cynareae
- Genus- Cnicus
- Species- C. benedictus
Blessed thistle is an annual plant and the only specie from the family
It is native to Mediterranean region from Portugal north to southern
France and east to Iran.
Though it is known in many other parts of world too for its medicinal
Blessed thistle an annual plant grows to a height of 60 cm bearing hairy
leaves upto 30 cm long and 8 cm broad and having small spines on the
The flowers are yellow or pink that is produced in a dense flowerhead
with a diameter of 3-4 cm and surrounded by various spiny basal bracts.
This plant is propagated by seeds and can be thrive in ordinary soils.
It is usually found growing on the roadside and waste places as a weed.
The seeds are sown in spring while leaves and flowering tops are collected
The whole plant is used as herb.
It contains volatile oils, a bitter crystalline substance called cnicin.
- Blessed thistle is a wonderful medicine and said to have several
properties like tonic, stimulant, emetic and emmenagogue.
- Cold infusion of blessed thistle is suitable in stomach ache and
- The decoction of this plant is given to nursing mothers that helps in
- DANISH: Benediktinertidsel, Korbendikt, Lægetidsel.
- DUTCH: Gezegende distel.
- ENGLISH: Bitter thistle, Blessed thistle, Holy thistle, Our Lady's
thistle, St.-Benedict's thistle, spotted thistle.
- FRENCH: Centaurée bénie, Chardon béni, Chardon bénit,
Cnicaut béni, Safran sauvage.
- GERMAN: Acker-Schachtelhalm, Benediktenkraut, Benediktendistel,
Bernhardinerkraut, Bitterdistel, Heiddistel , Kardobenedikte,
- ITALIAN: Cardo benedetto
- PORTUGUESE: Cardo bento, Cardo santo.
- RUSSIAN: Benedikt aptecnyj, Knikus blagoslovennyj.
- SPANISH: Cardo bendito, Cardo santo.
- SWEDISH: Kardbenedikt.
Disclaimer: The site does not advice you to take any action, we only provide information based on research done by various people world wide. One should consult their doctor, physician or an expert before taking any action or herbal/natural remedy mentioned on this website.